Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Spray Painted Vases

Crafts #3 Days #3

I love how these turned out so bright and colorful. I have always wanted to do this so I am so glad I did. It was also a lot easier then I thought it would be the only hard part was waiting for things to dry. My living room is much brighter now and I cant wait to add other items that match.  


Supplies and cost:

Glass vases (you could even use glass jars) $0.99 each at Goodwill
Spray Paint $3 and up
Clear Finish $4 and up
Wood Beads $3 150pack
Twine $2
Scissors $3
Wire Cutter $5
News paper
Fake Flowers (or sticks from outside) $6
I made seven of them with two colors of spray paint so the cost would be about $35 if you were buying all new items. But if you reused jars only got one color of paint and collected neat sticks from outside you could easily cut the cost down to $15 or less.


First thing I did was take off the stickers from goodwill a really easy way to do this is to heat up the sticker with a blow dryer for a few seconds and it will peel right off. Leaving almost no stickiness behind. Then I washed and dried all of them.


Set up a good spot outside away from anything you don't want to get paint on (house, car, patio, ect). Its important to use spray paint outside. Its fumes are nasty and paint gets everywhere. So make sure you are also wearing clothing that you don't mind getting paint on and if you don't want paint on your hands wear gloves.


This part will be different depending on the spray paint you use so read the directions on your spray paint and do as it tells you! But it should go something like this. Spray a layer of spray paint on each vase mine was quick dry so I let it dry for about 15mins and then I sprayed another layer on. and let it dry.


Once the first side was layered twice I let it dry flipped it over and did two layers on the other side for each color vases and beads. and let it dry.


Once second layer was dry on both sides I flipped it up and spayed any parts that got missed. And let it dry.


Once dry I collected up all the vases and spayed a clear coat on them let it sit for about 5mins (again follow directions on your can) and added another coat. Then the hardest part was letting it dry for about 3hrs.


 While its drying you can clear your fireplace mantel of any Christmas items. :)


Once Dried its time to bring them inside and decorate them! I used twine and beads to decorate mine. I gave each one a slightly different look. I didn't take really any pictures of the process cus it was hard to do and take pictures at the same time.


They look great when you are done and you will have hand made one of a kind items by you! Put them on your mantel shelf or anywhere else to enjoy.



Time: The actual time to make it is not long I would say about 2hrs. But when you put in all the wait time for drying its a all day project.

Learn from my mistakes/errors
1. When you think you have enough paper down to protect the ground from spray paint you prob don't. There is no harm in using to much. But when you don't use enough you have to figure out how to get the spray paint off of cement.
2. Buy twine that is the right size for your beads I bought the extra thick kind cus I liked the way it looked. I had to separate it to make it the right size.
3. Wear gloves if you don't want paint on your hands its that simple.

If you have any questions comments or tips feel free to leave them below.







No comments:

Post a Comment