Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Modge Podge Magazine Mirror

Craft #1 Day #3

I LOVE modge podge its one of the best crafting things ever! You can take almost anything and cover it with pretty pictures and modge podge. In this instance I did a mirror that I have had in my room really boring plain black mirror and I covered it with various text from Cosmo magazines.

Supplies and Cost:
Modge Podge $5
Mirror (Or something to cover) $10
Painters Tape $3
Scissors  $3
Paint or Sponge Brush $1
Old magazines (comic books, book pages, tissue paper, ect)
Cost total: $22 if using items already around the house you prob will spend less then $10


So first I took my lovely magazine that I just have sitting around my house and I cut them all up. I paid no attention to what the words said I was just going for look. I was trying to find various font and letter sizes all in black and white. Cut twice as much as you think you will need. 


You then cover the edges of the mirror with painters tape. I did this project in the middle of the night and did not have enough tape so I did with out but at the end I was scrapping off all the modge podge that got on the mirror so if you have the tape use it!


Its a pretty easy craft all you do is apply some modge podge with your brush.


Line up pictures, place pictures over modge podge and then apply more modge podge!


And do it over and over again.


Any pieces that hang over the edge you can fold over and modge podge to the back or you can trim off. 


Once all covered apply a few more coats of modge podge to the entire project I did two more. This is the finished project! I think it turned out pretty sweet. Much better then a plain black mirror.


And a close up.


Time: ??? I am not sure how long it took from start to finish. I meant to time myself but it all depends on the size of the item you are covering. I do know I watched most of fight club while I did this and its about 2.5hrs long.

Learn from my mistakes/errors:
1. My mirror was a hanging from the door mirror so it has a top and a bottom. I ended up putting all the font on it upside down. It does not bother me much cus I was just going for look but if its going to drive you crazy make sure you are putting your picture on right side up before you start.
2. Use painters tape I spent some time cleaning the mirror up when I was done.

Have any questions, comments, or tips please feel free to leave them below.


No comments:

Post a Comment