Saturday, January 7, 2012

Recycled Magazine Mirror

Craft #5 Day #7

This one took forever! I decided to cover up this huge mirror I have in my house that I thought needed to be cooler but the down side was I didn't realize how long this would actually take. I think on a smaller scale it would of been much nicer.


Supplies and Cost:
Old magazines (we all have tons laying around the house)
Glue Gun $10
Scissors $3 
Glue stick $1
Mirror (or something to cover) $5-ish

If you have to buy everything new you would spend about $20 but using items at home the cost is almost $0


First you need to rip out TONS of pages from a magazine. To cover my giant mirror I used 3 thick magazines. You then take the magazine page and roll it (I rolled it around a pen to make it a little easier on myself.) Once you get to the end apply some glue stick glue and roll it all up!


You need to make TONS of these magazine tubes.



After I felt like I had enough tubes (which I didn't) I cut them down to a short size for the center of the mirror applied hot glue. and put the short tubes in the hot glue 'standing' up.


You do that until the whole inside of the mirror is covered like this.


Now you do pretty much the same thing to the face of the mirror but with the tubes 'laying' down. Get the tubes to the length you desire. I just cut mine in half to be super easy on myself. You apply glue to the frame of the mirror and lay the tubes down. and do it over and over and over again.


Do that for the entire face of the mirror and it should look something like this.


Then you are going to do the same thing to the very outside of the mirror. Get the tubes to the length you desire. Apply hot glue to the outside frame of the mirror and lay the tubes down. and do it over and over and over again.

And then you should be done! and it will look something like this.




Time: The time to do this mirror was around 8hrs. It took way to long and I think if I knew how long it was going to take I would of done it on a smaller mirror. But the end result looks amazing.

Learn from my mistakes/errors
1. Hot glue is HOT! Don't touch it. I burned myself a few times but I am OK. :)
2. My advice is do a smaller mirror or frame then because It took forever to make this.

If you have any questions comments or tips feel free to leave them below.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely work..I have seen a few of these but have had trouble finding a tutorial.This one is great.You're a very clever and artistic person..

    ReplyDelete